To get directions enter your address and right click on the desired marker.
A 15th century church (1480) created by families of the then noble class (Avramis, Androutselis, Voulgaris, Theotokis, Kouartanos, Kapodistrias, Polylas, Dousmanis, Romanos, Chalikiopoulos etc).
The Church is a quadrangular Basilica, surrounded by narthex on the three sides (south, north and west). On the northert narthex there are frescoes of an unknown hagiographer. Its northern and southern walls are covered by frescoes showing the prophetess of the Old Testament and date back to the time (1450 – 1550) of the peak of the frescoes.
During the Venetian rule, the narthex was used as a cemetery for the members of the Fraternity. Today, there are several tombs, among which the tomb of a Russian Captain, of the suite of Admiral Usakov, (1799).
The Church was the office of significant head priests for several years, up to 1717, when took place the last restauration works.
The head priest of this church was for many years the great teacher of the Greek enslaved nation, CorfiotNikiphoros Theotokis , brilliant writer and famous ecclesiastic orator (1736- 1805), who, because of his important personality was invited by the Emperess of Russia Ekaterini II. There, he was made Archbishoppf Slavenion and Chersona and then of Astrachan and Stavropol.
It is the only church which has the pulpit on the southern wall and this happened so that the crowds of people that came to the church to hear the wonderful orator, regardless of religion or creed could all attend his speeched.
Take a look at the templon of Corfiot marble, with theicons by known hagiographers of the Cretan-Corfiot School, like the ceiling by the famous Corfiot painter Spyridon Sperantzas (1773), the icons of Christ and the icons of the templonof the most famous and skilled hagiographers of the so-called Ionian Schoo Chyssoloras and Tzenos, the templon doors by Emmanuel Tzannes and the work of a great unknown popular painter.
On the Hol Table (altar) there is a woderful pyx of the Russian manner.
In the church there is a shrine, where are kept reliques of Agios Ioannis Chrysostomos and Agios Ioannis Damaskinos.
In the small museum of the church are exhibited the vestments and the pectoral cross of Nikiphoros Theotokis , as well as two vestments from Russia and a diaconal , donation of Nikiphoros Theotokis to the church the time that he was in Russia.
This is the church that attended the National Poet of Greece Dionysios Solomos, Ioannis Kapodistrias, Iakovos Polylas while a church warden was the composer of the National Anthem of Greece Nikolaos Mantzaros.
A former Anglican Church for the English soldiers. Built on the designs of Antony Emmet. Its interior was destroyed by the German bombardments in 1943 and it was restaured to its original form in 2008. After the unification of the Ionian Islands to Greece, it is an Orthodox church and the old stone templon of the church of Agios Spyridon has been installed here; the templon at the Agios Spyridon church was replaced with a marble one in the early 2th century. Until the mid 20th century, it was the only church in Corfu where the night Mass of the Resurrection was held. Later on, the Mass of the Resurrection was transferred to the church of Agia Paraskevi, where it is being held to this day.
A Catholic Monastery of the early 18th century with important history. The church was built from 1678-1688, under the Latin Bishop Marco AntonioBarbarigo in the place of an older church and was inaugurated in 1749 by the Latin Bishop Antonio Nanni (1742-1765). It is an important, architecturally, church with a dome, double lateral chapels and a bell tower. It owes its name to the monks that had to abandon Tenedos, after its fall to the Ottomans in1657 and come to Corfu, bringing along the wonderful icon of the Virgin Mary.
At the central entrance there is a curved representation of the Venetian lion
and the inscription "Sub Ubra Alarum Tuatum Protege nos MDCCXII". On either side there is the emblem of the Donas family (right) and the emblem of the Franciscan Monks (left)
The Tenedos monastery housed for the first time the public library of Corfu (1800-1807), the fisrt Greek teacher's school (1805) supervised by Ioannis Kapodistrias and the first Greek printing house , where the " Thourios " of Rigas Ferreos was imprinted (an early singer and martyr of the Greek revolution).
One of the most historic churches of Corfu. It's so old, that we don't know exactly when it was constructed. What we do know is that it was given to a female monastery in the period of the Epirus Despotate (12th century period of Angeloi Komninoi).
The church is a living historic monument of the schism and the rivalry of the Orthodox and the Catholic Church.
When the d'Anjoux took over Corfu (d'Anjou - 1272 they eliminated the Orthodox Archbishop, they confiscated the ecclesiastic property and they took from the Orthodox the best churches. Later on this church was given tothe Latin monks of Saint Francis of Assisi (1367). Only in 1943, after the end of World War II, the Catholic Vicar gave to the Orthodox Metropolite of Corfu the holy reliques of Saint Arsenios, Iason and Sosipatros, which were kept in a crypt of the church.
In this church, the Corfiots gave the town keys to the Venetian admiral Giovanni Miani, surrendering to the Serene Republic of Venice. (20/5/1386)
The carved angel on top of the roof (by the Italian sculptor Toretti, 18th century) is the main feature of this church, which is relatively a simple church of the Ionian manner (early 16th century). It is in the Taxiarches Square at Kampiello.
In this church there used to be the historic church of Taxiarches, which was destroyed by a Nazi bombardment during World War II. The very same bombardments caused serious damage to the Church of Pantokratoras, too.