To get directions enter your address and right click on the desired marker.
Grava of Gardiki is a cave, where evidence of human populations of the Upper Paleolithic Era (20.000 BC). There hace been found tools of pyrites, animal bones etc.
It is in the village of Agios Mathaios, 22km southwest of Corfu town and very near the Gardiki Byzantine Castle. It offers a wonderful view over south Corfu.
A monument of Paneuropean importance, since it is here that the Latin Nobles, who were killed at the naval battle of Nafpaktos (1571), were buried; this naval battle was the end of the marine threat of the Turks. A few years later the Turks will no longer constitute a threat for the land, either, and the effort of the Turks to expand to the West will come to a final end.
This naval battle, the largest ever seen by mankind to that day, was the first one to have been won by the Christian forces after 8 marge-scale naval battles, which they had lost. That victorywas a boost to the morale of the Christian forces and helped them keep control over the Mediterranean and especially of the Western Mediterranean (they had lost control over the Eastern Mediterranean just two months before that, with the loss of Cyprus to the Turks).
Among the human losses of the battle were Juan de Córdova, Alfonso de Cárdena, Juan Ponce de León, Fabiano Graziani, Colonna etc.
After the devastation of the church during the Nazi bombardments on 14/9/1943, the bones were transferred to the Catholic Cemetery of Corfu, at the Cappucini region.
Also Cervantes (Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra) spent some time in this church.
Today, all that is left of the church is only the belltower and part of the altar.
The unique stone gable of the temple is at the Archaeological Museum of Corfu.
Here, visitors have the chance to see the well-preserved doric temple and the large altar .
For opening hours and visits, please refer to the webpages of the Ministry of Culture
Menecrate's Monument is in the Garitsa area on the borders of the cemetery of ancient Corfu, facing the gate of Alkinoos' port.
It is a circular tomb, constructed in the 6th century BC . with an impressive archaic inscription, which is considered to be one of the most ancient inscriptions in Greece .
It's a burial monument , a cenotaph in honor of Menecrates, ambassador of Corfu to Oiantheia , a town near today's town of Galaxidi. According to the inscription, the people of the town, in recognition of his offer, created the monument. The inscription, written in Corinthian alphabet , dates approximately to 600 BC . (it is one of the most ancient saved Greek inscriptions), while the architecture of the cenotaph is chronologically set at 570/540 BC and there is only one similar monument at Lindos, Rhodes.
At the archaeological museum of Corfu there is also a marble lion, the 'lion of Menecrates' , which ows this name to the original impression that it laid on top of Menecrates cenotaph.
The archaeological site of Palaeopolis and the Mon Repos is the site of the ancient market of Corfu town, as it evolved from the ancient times till the 6th century AD. The most important monuments of the site are the following: the agora, the doric temple of Kardaki, the roman baths and a pre-Hellenistic round building, which was transformed into a Christian church during the first Christian era.